Susan Frances joined Jill M. Metz & Associates soon after moving to Chicago in 2005. She focuses her practice on adoption law and estate planning.
Appointed to serve as the 2013-2014 Chair and 2012-2013 Vice-Chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Adoption Law Committee, Susan particularly enjoys her work with same-sex couples completing various forms of adoption. She wrote about the process of second parent adoptions in an article published in the Summer 2012 edition of The CAFFA Connection.
Previously practicing family law, Susan’s familiarity with alternative dispute resolution methods from law school through actual practice led her to complete an additional mediator training program at DePaul University in 2011. Susan was awarded her Juris Doctorate in 2002 from Southern Illinois University School of Law, where she was editor-in-chief of the annual Hiram H. Lesar Survey of Illinois Law edition of the Southern Illinois University Law Journal and had her article Every Judgment Is A Weapon If You Hold It Right: Right to Expressive Association in Boy Scouts of America v. Dale published.
Susan has served on the Steering Committee of the Central Illinois Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, Steering Committee of the Open Door Youth Center in Bloomington, Illinois, and Board of the Rainbow Café Youth Program in Carbondale, Illinois. Her volunteer work since moving to Chicago has ranged from being a legal observer with the ACLU to being a volunteer educator with the Lifespan Faith Development program at her Unitarian Universalist church. Susan’s advocacy work for issues from religious freedom to freedom of assembly to equal rights for the LGBTQ community makes her an able advocate for and good counsel to her clients.
- Southern Illinois University School of Law, Carbondale, Illinois
- J.D. – 2002
- Law Review: Hiram H. Lesar Survey of Illinois Law, Editor in Chief, 2001 – 2002
- Law Review: Law Journal, Staff, 2000 – 2001
- Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington, Illinois
- B.A. – 1995
- Major: International Studies
Areas Of Practice
- Powers of Attorney
- Illinois, 2002
- Every Judgment Is A Weapon If You Hold It Right: Right to Expressive Association in Boy Scouts of America v. Dale, Southern Illinois University Law Journal
- Second Parent Adoption , The CAFFA Connection